Reverse osmosis is only one of five stages of filtration and purification that make up this iSpring system, but it is by far the most important. The five stages consist of (1) sediment filtration, (2) filtering out of chlorine and hydrocarbons along with their associated odors, (3) using a carbon block to remove some of the more difficult tastes, odors, and chemicals, (4) the reverse osmosis stage, and (5) a final “polishing” stage that employs yet another filter.
The RO membrane effectively removes any particles in the water that have managed to pass through the first three stages. The membrane can effectively remove particles that are less than a nanometer in size. The purpose of the fifth and final stage is to pass the water through one more purification step as it travels from the storage tank to the faucet, effectively removing any odd taste or odor that might have been introduced in the tank.
- As the product name implies, the iSpring 75 GPD 5-Stage RO system supplies up to 75 gallons of pure, fresh drinking water a day.
- In addition to the filtration and RO units, the system includes a 3.2-gallon pressurized storage tank, food-grade tubing, and a gooseneck faucet, all of which have been certified to NSF/ANSI standards.
- Features include a feed water adapter designed to make tapping into a cold water line an easier task, a storage tank valve that is more durable as well as tighter fitting that on previous models, a more reliable automatic shut-off valve (in response to user’s complaints), an improved RO membrane, and the addition of a water flood alarm. An improved carbon filter has been incorporated into the fifth and final stage.
- An icemaker kit and replacement filters can be purchased separately. Annual filter replacement is recommended.
- An additional feature you might appreciate is a YouTube installation video.
- The iSpring system is far cheaper than spending well over a thousand dollars to have a Culligan system installed, especially if you only have a need for purified water for drinking, cooking, making ice cubes, for use in aquariums and the like.
- This iSpring model sells in the mid to lower price range. It typically retails for just under $300 but can quite often be purchased at a discount. The replacement filter cost of approximately $35/year is lower than for many other systems of this type.
- The faucet is high quality and relatively noiseless, the filtration and RO units are essentially noise free in their operation.
- The system is covered by a 30-day warranty.
- If your water supply contains fluoride, and you would prefer not to have fluoride in your drinking water, the OS membrane will remove it.
- For those who purchase the item and intend to install it themselves, the total weight of the unit is only 25 pounds, similar to the Watts WP5-50 Premier.
- Water pressure of at least 45 psi is recommended for the system to work most effectively. It may or may not perform well if water is supplied at a lower pressure in which case a booster pump may need to be installed.
This is a top-rated product, and for good reason. With respect to quality, it has an outstanding track record. iSpring is also has an excellent reputation for customer service, and if you should have a problem with installation, maintenance or performance you will find the customer service department to be both responsive and helpful.
[aio_button align=”center” animation=”none” color=”blue” size=”small” icon=”none” text=”On Sale! Shop Now!” url=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XELTTG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003XELTTG&linkCode=as2&tag=cleosmo-20&linkId=AOYTS7BW2R2FPB3B”]